A CONNECTED DIGITAL TWIN
FOR GAS STATIONS
Today, a gas station is much more than a refilling point. It has become an urban facility that provides a large number of valuable services (car wash, 24/7 shop, electric recharge, etc…). Eventually, it will also expand to a micro-local photovoltaic energy plant or a proximity communications edge hub.
Oil & Gas Retailers need to explore the opportunities created by the digitalization of gas stations, looking at them as a fully connected retail store much more than a service facility. This new perspective will produce a huge amount of data, including customer behavior tracking, real-time data of petrol pumps, car washing machines, and smart building systems.
Leveraging the opportunities of the Digital Gas Station means identifying and exploiting opportunities to use those data for innovative business outcomes.
HOW WE HELPED
The Retail Unit of one of the largest European Oil & Gas companies, engaged with Galeo in an ambitious program to realize the connected Gas Station concept. Among others, the goals of the project included:
- End-2-end data platform: the creation of the corporate multimodal IoT platform to support the integration of all the third-party software and hardware (system vendors, maintainers, operators, etc.) of a gas station.
- Data ownership for internal innovation: The company is the unique owner of all the data generated at the gas station, that ends up integrated into its corporate data platform. Beyond ownership, this approach provides the company with the full freedom to combine data in new innovative ways.
- Open Platform approach: the modular design of the platform, allow third-party companies to contribute to the Digital Twin model, both providing data associated with their assets, and IP related to their accompanying services.
- Cybersecurity and data privacy. The strict legal framework around safety and protection in gas stations is being expanded as added digital capabilities are added to the systems, stressing the importance of the low-level IoT lifecycle management.
The creation of the Digital Gas Station platform has started producing business value to our customers. Apart from the increased efficiency and visibility of operational processes, the integrated data capture has opened the opportunities for additional data-driven opportunities, including:
- Cross-selling campaigns: combining traditional sales – gas – with additional value-added services – car wash – based on the combined demand patterns detected on the data.
- Build a marketing intelligence tool for gas station services to understand the dynamics of a gas station compared with other nodes in the network in terms of sales, services, and traffic.
- Define a standardized IoT architecture for Digital Gas Stations, that will be progressively deployed throughout the whole network with more than 5000 distributed nodes.